Homemade chicken broth
Many commercial broths can contain milk or wheat derivatives, in addition to high sodium as well as additives or preservatives. Here is a simple recipe without priority allergens.
- Left over bones from one chicken
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch shallots, trimmed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 250 ml (1 cup) green sprouts of your choice (peas, clovers, etc.)
- 2 ml (¼ teaspoon) dried thyme
- 2 ml (¼ teaspoon) dried sage
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) black peppercorns
- Fill your pot with enough water to cover the chicken bones (about 15 cups). Bring to a boil and let simmer for an hour.
- Add the other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil again then lower the heat.
- Cover and simmer for at least an hour.
- Add salt to taste then strain the broth.
The recipes we suggest are meant to be priority allergen-free. However, it remains important to do your own nutrition labelling check for each ingredient.