Eggs are listed as a priority allergen in Canada. This page focuses on facts specific to egg allergy, available resources, and special considerations related to this allergen.
|On this page:||Statistics and facts on egg allergy >|
|Egg allergy reference guide >|
| Terms that may indicate the presence of eggs|
| Foods that are likely and possible sources of eggs|
| Possible sources of eggs in commonly used products|
| Cooking without eggs and egg replacement|
|Helpful resources and egg-free recipes >|
Data and statistics on egg allergy
- Egg allergy affects 1% of children under 18 years of age and 0.5% of adults in Canada[i].
- Up to 80% of egg allergies are outgrown by the age of 18[ii].
- 60% to 70% of people with egg allergy can tolerate eggs when cooked and included in a recipe (e.g., muffins, cakes, cookies)[iii]. Heat alters the structure of certain allergenic proteins in eggs and the allergenic potential is decreased. The combination of multiple ingredients and the presence of wheat makes the allergenic molecules in eggs less recognisable by IgE[iv].
- Children who tolerate cooked egg are more likely to outgrow their allergy than those who do not [v].
- The allergenic proteins in eggs are present in both the yolk and the white, but the yolk is considered less allergenic.[vi].
- Over twenty different proteins have been identified in eggs [vii]. Ovalbumin, ovomucoid, ovomucin, and lysozyme are considered the most allergenic.
- With the exception of the yellow fever vaccine, the Quebec Immunization Protocol does not consider egg allergy as a medical contraindication to vaccination. Although some vaccines are also manufactured using chicken embryos (influenza, MMR (measles, rubella and mumps) and Rabevert (rabies), current evidence indicates that egg proteins found in vaccines manufactured using chicken embryos are insufficient to induce an allergic reaction.
- Some medication may contain egg-based ingredients. For example, Diprivan® (propofol), which is used for anaesthesia and sedation, contains egg phosphatidate[ix]. Caution should be exercised when administering such drugs to people with egg allergy.
Eggs REFERENCE GUIDE
|Egg albumin||Meringue||Egg powder|
|Egg white||Ovalbumin||Ovolactohydrolyzed proteins|
|Eggnog||Ovomucoid||Egg substitutes (e.g. Egg Beaters®, yolk, etc.)|
|Animal lecithin||Egg white powder||Egg lecithin|
|Egg yolk powder|
|Health Canada’s food allergen labelling regulations established in 2012 prohibit use of the following terms: Manufacturers must declare the presence of eggs in the list of ingredients, either on the label of their product or in the words “Contains”. However, it is important to keep those terms in mind when travelling, as regulations vary from one country to another. In some cases, it may also be useful to know them when we are offered homemade or artisanal products.|
|Custard||Fresh pasta products||Sauces|
|English cream||Milk pudding||Salad dressing|
|Pastry cream||Nougat||Meat substitutes|
|Cream-filled desserts||Orange Julep®|
|Binding and filling agents (used in meat, poultry, and fish preparations)||Confections||Baked products and muffins|
|Baby food||Ice Cream||Seafood imitation products (e.g. crab-flavoured pollock)|
|Cookies||Cheese (with lysozyme)||Sausages|
|Artisanal spruce and malt beers||Glazing||Flavoring|
|Alcoholic drinks and cocktails||Lecithin||Maple syrup|
|Hard candies||Foam/whipped coffee filling||Sorbets|
|Broths and wines clarified with egg whites (fining)||Blends for malted beverages||Soups|
|Deli meats||Pasta products||Salad dressing|
|Anesthetics such as Diprivan® (propofol)||Arts and crafts materials||Haircare products|
|Some vaccines (e. g. measles-rubella-mumps)||Medicines|
|Note: To find out if common products contain eggs, it is important to read the labels and contact the manufacturer. Food allergen labelling regulations apply only to packaged foods, they do not apply to non-food products.|
|Egg replacements and cooking without eggs|
As a binder:
As a raising agent:
Egg-free recipes and resources
- Allergy Quebec
- Many of Ricardo cuisine’s offers several recipes without eggs (search for recipe without eggs in the search tool)
- Quebec All Recipe has several egg-free recipes
- The Association of Allergists and Immunologists of Québec
- Health Canada
- American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
- Subscribe for free to food recall notices from MAPAQ (in French) and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency
[i] Soller, S et coll. (2015). Adjusting for nonresponse bias corrects overestimates of food allergy prevalence. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 3(2), 291-293. DOI 10.1016/j.jaip.2014.11.006
[ii] Savage, J. H. et coll. (2008). The natural history of egg allergy. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 120(6):1413-1417. Repéré à DOI 10.1016/j.jaci.2007.09.040
[iii] Association des allergologues et immunologues du Québec. (2016). Allergie à l’œuf de poule. Repéré à http://www.allerg.qc.ca/Information_allergique/3_3d_oeuf.html
[iv] Kosti, R. I. et coll. (2012). Food allergen selective thermal regimens may change oral tolerance in infancy. Allergologia and Immunopathologia, 41(6). Repéré à DOI 10.1016/j.aller.2012.08.011
[v] Dang, T. D. et coll. (2016). Debates in allergy medicine: baked egg and milk do not accelerate tolerance to egg and milk. World Allergy Organization Journal, 9:2. Repéré à DOI 10.1186/s40413-015-0090-z
[vi] Benedé, S. et coll. (2015). Egg proteins as allergens and the effects of the food matrix and processing. Food & Function, 6:694-713. Repéré à DOI 10.1039/c4fo01104j
[vii] Mine, Y. et Yang, M. (2008). Recent advances in the understanding of egg allergens: basic, industrial and clinical perspective. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 56(13):4874-4900. Repéré à DOI 10.1021/jf8001153
[viii] Chapitre 1 – 220.127.116.11 Allergie à l’un des composants du vaccin. (2016). Protocole d’immunisation du Québec. Repéré à http://publications.msss.gouv.qc.ca/msss/fichiers/piq/html/web/Piq.htm#Allergie_composants_vaccin.htm
[ix] Astra Zeneca. (2012). Monographie du Diprivan® [PDF]. Repéré à https://www.astrazeneca.ca/content/dam/azca/frenchassets/Ourmedicines/Diprivan%20-%20Monographie.pd…